Monday, May 7, 2012

Why I am warming up to ebooks


One sits listlessly in office, swatting at flies no can see, catching a few winks in between chai breaks. This was something I did not perceive would ever occur to me. Like everyone else, I dreamt of a profession that pays, sends you on trips and possibly kept you within the confines of an office, as little as possible. And I still dream on. Journalism. Sounds like a snazzy job to be doing, but truthfully, part of it can become quite monotonous. Resting your bum on a chair, for 6 hours! Heck I definitely did not dream of this.

And just as sure I was about my job, I was about ebooks. They suck. I was never in favour of new technologies like the Kindle. I'm pretty old school when it comes to books. For me, the touch, the feel and the flipping of pages added to the entire experience of a book. Every time I bought a new book, I plunged my face within its pages and would smell the pages. If it was a second hand book, then the yellowed pages would draw me closer. It was just something else you could not argue with.

But with spending six hours in front of your office desktop, wasting atleast half that amount felt criminal. Till, I discovered the real joy of reading an ebook.

I had started Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie, but something better came along the way. Do not misunderstand me. Do not assume that I am degrading Salman Rushdie, its just that his book was not ideal for an office environment. One must ruminate, ponder over and patiently digest his words. But, for me, Michael Crichton, or Stephen King can be gulped down. They hold your focus, till they suck the life force out of you. And before I knew it, I had finished, Pet Cemetary and The Shining by Stephen King, and Sphere and Airframe by Michael Crichton, and currently reading Disclosure by the same author. Where earlier I had thought that office had killed the insatiable thirst for books, I just discovered a way around it. The link below is a treasure trove of long lost books! And the book 'Do Androids dream of electric sheep' is available!!!
http://www.freebooks2u.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment